Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Magic Of Lime / and a new blog too

Wow, this week has gotten away. I've been working on a new blog with my good friend. It's a blog all about Girl Scouts. If you or someone you know is interested in Girl Scouts, check it out
Girl Scout Party (A blog celebrating Girls and their achievements in Girl Scouts)

I'm blogging while cooking dinner so I don't have much time. I wanted to share a super easy recipe for pickles I tried this week. They are Lime Crisp Pickles. I've never used pickling lime, but it's like magic. The cucumbers soaked in it, and when I drained off the lime they were so crisp. Does anyone know how that works?


7 lbs cucumbers

1 C pickling lime

2 qt vinegar

1 T salt

1 gallon water

1 T celery seed

9 C sugar

1 T mixed pickling spice

slice cucumbers and soak in solution of lime and water for 24 hours

Drain

Cover with cold water and soak for 3 hours.

Drain

Add vinegar, sugar, salt, celery seed, and spice. Soak over night.

Next day pour into pan and boil for 15 minutes.

Pack in jars and seal.

Fancy that, I'm in a real pickle for time with a new blog and pickles too. DeeLight

2 comments:

the author said...

Interesting... lime! Do you squeeze your own or did you use the store bought bottle of lime juice? Or wait... is that some kind of canning ingredient that's not actually a lime? lol. Obviously I'm not a canner... (yet)

Anonymous said...

I am starring at this post knowing full well I posted about crisp pickles somewhere sometime but it wasn't as a comment here.....then it hit me...it was on twitter. Thank goodness...I thought I was really losing it. Geez...Have a wonderful weekend. See ya' at Pink Saturday.