Tuesday, September 16, 2008

With Changing Seasons Come Changing Tastes

I don't know about you but when the weather starts to turn a little cooler I start to crave the tastes of fall. For me food does more than nourish the body it celebrates the seasons and nourishes the soul.

When I was a girl my mom would make Gingerbread not just the cookies but the "bread" (more like cake). I remember eating it for breakfast and as a snack after school. The smell of it filled the house and stirred your senses preparing you for the changing season. Even after I was married my mom would call and tell me she had made Gingerbread, so that I could run by her house, and have a taste (or 2 , or 3...).

So after 2 nights spent with an extra blanket (okay, it's not cold, but there is a definite chill), I decided it was time for Gingerbread. I must say my kiddos love starting their day with this special treat.



The recipe comes from a small compilation of recipes my mother found at The War Eagle Mill Craft Fair. When I was a girl the fair was small, but now it has grown into a rather larger event.


War Eagle Mill Farm Gingerbread

3/4 C butter
2/3 C sugar
2 eggs
1 C dark molasses
2 C flour
7/8 C boiling Water
1 T ginger
1 t cinnamon
1 t cloves
2 t soda

Cream butter and sugar add eggs and molasses. Blend well
Sift flour, spice and soda; add to creamed mixture mixing well.
Add boiling water last. Mix well.
Pour into greased and floured rectangle baking dish (you know, the Pyrex type).
Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

Fancy that, the taste of Fall!! I guessed I had better call my mom over and share a little with her too.

DeeLight

6 comments:

Trish said...

thanks for stopping by my blog!! that gingerbread looks so good, I don't usually cook or bake, but I may have to try that!!

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh, it looks yummy! It almost looks like it has a frosting on it. And how fun that you're carrying on the tradition for your children!

grace said...

one thing that always helps me adjust to the colder weather is gingerbread. your recipe looks like it results in a moist and tasty cake. frankly, to me, the smell of cinnamon and cloves can't be topped. :)

Cookie baker Lynn said...

What a great way to welcome fall. Gingerbread is always delicious but it definitely tastes like fall/ winter to me.

Zoe said...

Oh yum! I just LOVE anything that has molasses in it. I might have to make this today. :)

Lei said...

Mmmm... I can practically smell it!