Saturday, August 11, 2007

Letter Lessons

This week my daughter and I started something new with the littlest member of our family, Letter Lessons. She and I are going to start introducing him to a new letter each week. We chose to start with the letter L as it is the first letter of his name

My daughter is 10 and had such a great time looking online for activities (she's already come up with ideas for next week). My original plan was to use activities from when I was teaching, but I could tell she really wanted to do the planning!!! What a great learning experience for her as well.

Keep in mind my son is 2, so we kept it simple, and our only expectation was that he would be introduced to the letter and have fun at the same time!!!

Activity 1: Play dough "LETTERS"
(we all played with play dough and cut out various letter shapes)

IMG_2724


Activity2: Little Lamb
(we traced my sons hand onto black paper, cut it out, and then let him cover the palm
with white cotton balls, my daughter drew hooves and a face on the fingers)
Sing Mary Had A Little Lamb

Activity 3: Leo The Lion
( Of course we sang Leo The Lion. We then found a small pater plate, used a glue
stick to cover the outside edge with glue. My son then helped to place the paper
strips around for the main, and glued on the eyes and nose.)
IMG_2720
Activity 4: Lips starts with L
( I drew an L Shape onto a piece of paper, put lipstick on my son and let him kiss the paper leaving his "lip print".)
Activity 5: Lamb, Leaf, and L cookies
IMG_2727
IMG_2721IMG_2723
Rolled Sugar Cookies
(from The Southern Living Cookbook)
3 C flour
2 t baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
1 C shortening (I used butter(
1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 C sugar
2 T milk
1 t vanilla
Combine flour, baking powder, and soda, cut in shortening (or butter) with a pastry blender until it resembles course meal. Combine egg, sugar, milk, and vanilla. Stir until well blended pour into the the dry mixture. Stir with fork until well blended. pat dough into ball and chill 2 hours (we usually can't wait that long). Role dough 1/8 in thick and cut with cookie cutter.
Bake at 375 for 6 minutes.
Fancy That, a week of fun Letter L activities!!!
Dee Light

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this idea. If you would like to share your next week as the guest blogger on my site- I would love it! Thanks for visiting!

Sandy said...

Fun, fun idea! Your little guy is so blessed to have an older sis like that!
Mmmm, the cookies are making my mouth water :)
Sandy

Heidijayhawk said...

what an awesome idea!!! wow! i'm going to start working with my little fella soon as well.

Chickenbells said...

Those are great and fun (and yummy) ideas to introduce letters! Plus, it looks like everyone gets to help...

Anonymous said...

I love to see the children's energy to teach their younger siblings. These activities are so sweet and have so much heart behind them. I love the lion.

Kit said...

Looks like great fun and lovely that your 10 year old got so involved. Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

Natasha said...

Great ideas!! It is also fun to do a letter search...look for the letter of the week on packages, ads, signs etc.!!

Lei said...

I LOVE it! Especially the lips, lol. So cute!

Lei said...

I LOVE it! Especially the lips, lol. So cute!

lindiepindie said...

That is so great! He'll have his letters down in no time with all that hands on activity! Good for you. L is a great letter to start with. My kid's Kindergarten curriculum started with S - one of the hardest letters for a child to write. After that week, I skipped ahead to L. :o)

Robyn said...

These are such great ideas! i honestly can't remember how I taught my son his letters. I wish I knew now that my daughter is almost two. I think I'll try some of these ideas with her. Now to just get my son to quit mixing up his H's and N's and quit thinking a Y is an I. :0)

Jill Monroe said...

You've always had such great ideas for teaching!!

Gina said...

What a fantastic idea, you are such a great Mom!