Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Trick or Treat and Dinner Too

Wow!! I don't know about you, but things have been a little crazy around here. Halloween is fun, but it makes for an oh, so crazy week!! I guess it would help if I did a little more planning ahead, but I just don't work that way.

I don't usually do much sewing on Halloween costumes. Once upon a time I did, but I've decided it's just easier and usually less expensive to buy them. Now don't mistake this to mean I purchase ready made costumes. Oh, no that takes all of the fun out of the event. We use clothes in the closet, or buy them at an inexpensive price, and put them together to create fun costumes. For a look at my girls scroll down to the previous post or click here . The baby wore a bunny stocking cap from Target, and a pink knit dress (all things she will be able to use), Big Sis wore shorts, shirt, and vest that she had. All we had to add were wings, socks, face paint and crazy pink hair. Little Brother was a Pirate. I saved jeans that had gotten to short, made boot covers from felt, embroidered a pirate emblem on a black shirt, borrowed a belt from Big Sis and purchased a hook and eye patch for his costume.



We have to eat before we trick or treat so I had this easy soup (from a Southern Living cook book) on hand.


Cheesy Minestrone Soup

1pound smoked sausage

1 small onion

2 T flour

1 pkg chicken flavored ramen noodles

1 quart water1 can chicken broth

1 (16 ounce) bag frozen whole kernel corn, thawed

1 M Zucchini coarsely chopped (I don't use this, my family doesn't like zucchini (unless it's fried), but I think it would be a great addition)

1 (10 ounce can) pinto beans

1 (10 ounce can diced tomatoes and green chiles undrained)

2 t dried basil

1 C shredded mozzarella cheese

Saute sausage and onion in dutch oven over medium high heat, until onion is tender; stir in flour and cook stirring constantly 2 min.

Add ramen seasoning packet and 1qt water. Add next 5 ingredients to sausage mixture bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 7 min.

Stir in noodles and basil; cook stirring occasionally 3 min.

Sprinkle cheese over each serving if desired.

Fancy That, Trick or Treat and Dinner too!!

DeeLight



6 comments:

Felicia said...

Cute costume :)

Cookie baker Lynn said...

I'm a fan of thrifty costumes, too. The thrift store is my friend. Your soup looks like the perfect way to warm up little trick-or-treaters.

Karol said...

Way too cute! I love easy, cheap costumes - they're only going to get 1 or 2 uses out of them, right? Love your blog - Karol

Tina Leavy said...

so cute..and your soup recipe sounds yum too.
hope you have a lovely weekend.

Pink Slippers said...

What a cutie. Thanks for the recipe. yum.

Gina said...

OH yummy!