Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Best Cookies Ever?

My mom purchased a "Paula Deen Magazine" back in March. I've thumbed through it several times, and so has she, but neither of us had tried any of the recipes. Last Sunday I asked if I could borrow it, and of course her reply was YES, but you have to try out a recipe and let me have a taste.

Well today was the day!!! On Wednesdays, my 2 year old and I go to eat with my mother-in-law. So I baked "Praline Cookies" from the "Paula Deen Magazine". I was in such a rush I didn't even have a chance to taste the finished product before I left for her house. We ate dinner, and then broke out the cookies, a friend who was joining us took 2 bites and announced that these were the best cookies he had ever tasted!! I gave him a funny look (yea right the BEST, they may be good but honestly). My mother-in-law gave them a try, and to my surprise she agreed!!!

Now I don't know if I would say they are the BEST COOKIES EVER, but they are pretty good!!!
and really easy!!! So I thought I would pass the recipe along to my Blogger Friends.

Praline Cookies
(From Cooking With Paula Deen, March/April 2007)
1/2 C butter, softened
1 1/2 C firmly packed brown sugar
1 L egg
1t vanilla
1 1/2 C all purpose flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/2 C pecans, coarsely chopped
icing:
1 C firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 C heavy whipping cream
1 C confectioners sugar
beat butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer at medium speed, until creamy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Gradually add dry ingredients (except pecans) to the mixture. Beat well. Cover and chill, about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350, and lightly grease cookie sheets.
Form dough into 1 inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Flatten cookies slightly with fingers. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. Bake 10 minutes, and cool on wire racks.
To make the icing, combine brown sugar and whipping cream in sauce pan. Bring to boil over medium heat until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; beat in confectioners sugar until smooth. Drizzle over cookies.
IMG_2803
Best Ever Cookies? I don't know. You be the judge.
Oh, and don't worry I haven't forgotten my mom. We'll be delivering hers after school!!!
Fancy that, a treasure trove of recipes going unused for all of these months!!! I'd better get cooking!!!
DeeLight

19 comments:

Dawn said...

Yummm! Those look really great.

Thanks for stopping by my Woman to Woman and the comment. Sounds like you've bit off too much in the past as well! It's good to learn to say "no" when you really need to. I get what you're saying about wanting to do things to show how good you are at it!

Thimbleanna said...

OhMyGosh! They look fabulous (and calorie free too, I'm sure.) Anything with frosting is at the top of my list, and brown sugar frosting? Be Still My Heart! I'm putting these on my already HUGE list of blog recipes to try. Thanks for sharing!

Natasha said...

Oh wow those do look tempting! Thanks for the recipe I am much more apt to try one if I know someone else liked it. Especially when breaking out of the traditional chocochip, Peanut butter, sugar, snickerdoodle cookie mold!!

Adriann said...

Yummy! Too bad I'm dieting...

Veronica K. said...

They look good, then again anything Paula Dean makes looks good. I was watching her show the other day and she made Chicken Georgia and now I want to make it. I just need to figure out how to make it diet friendly.

Heidijayhawk said...

alright. talked me into it. i'll be trying them this weekend!

Jade said...

Yuuummmy! Wish there was such thing as smell-o-net or taste-a-net. Ah well! This way, it really is calorie-free!

Unknown said...

Mmmm, looks wonderful.. I try to stay away from Paula Deen, she's not usually Weight Watchers friendly, but oh, would I love to eat her stuff!

Kelly said...

These look and sound fantastic! I think I might give them a try this weekend...will post a pic on kloth and bolt if I do! -kb

Belinda said...

Dee...these really do sound super yummy! I want to bake cookies this weekend, so this was perfect timing to see your post. I'm adding whipping cream to my grocery list, and I can't wait to try these...thanks to you and your Mom. :-) I'll let you know how they turn out!

Chickenbells said...

Those look divine. I have so many food allergies and people in my life that have them...I kept trying to re-do the recipe in my head!

Sandy said...

Oh YUM!

Hey, you WON!

Come on over and check it out :)

Sandy

Felicia said...

Well they look pretty fabulous.

Gina said...

MMm, they look so yummy! Thank you for sharing them with us.

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

Well, they certainly look tastier than tasty!!! xxo

Anonymous said...

Oh gawd. I feel the pounds seeping through my eyeballs just looking at them.

Lei said...

Oh my, oh my, oh my... they look divine!

Zoe said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! I WOULD DIE FOR ONE OF THOSE!!!!! I am going to have to try this recipe out!!!! Thanks for sharing it!!

Dianne Long said...

OH WOW! I haven't even read the recipe or the other comments yet, but when I saw the picture of these praline cookies I just had to say THANK YOU!!! I love pralines and I'm holding you responsible for me going off my diet. I may have to make these for my tea instead of my chocolate pralines! Or both!! YUM :)
Dianne, Mama's Pocketbook