Thursday, September 18, 2008

What Could Be Better Than Apple Pie?

Apple Pie!! Doesn't it just scream Fall!! I know, I know, I need to come up with some less fattening Fall favorites, if I don't I'm going to pack on so many pounds that I won't even fit into my old maternity clothes (and no, I'm not pregnant). But one great thing about fall is the weather, it's a little cooler, and just perfect for long walks. So I guess I'll keep eating my favorite fall foods, and just do a little extra walking.



I always use Martha Stewart's Pate Brissee for my pie crust. I've tried others, but this is my favorite. The recipe makes enough for 2 single crust pies or one double crust (top and bottom) pie.

Apple Filling
I've prepared the filling for apple pie a couple of different ways, but this is sooooo easy, and turns out great.

6-8 apples pealed, cored and sliced (should be 7-8 cups of apple slices)
1T lemon juice
2 C sugar (this is really a matter of taste. If you like your pie to be tart I would add a little less)
2 T Cinnamon (if you just like a touch of cinnamon add less)
dash of salt
1/4 C flour (give or take)
2 T butter (cut into small pieces)

Pour lemon juice over apples and toss to coat apples
Combine sugar, salt, flour, and cinnamon
Add dry mixture to apples and combine
Pour mixture into crust
dot with butter

Now it's time to make the crumb topping (you could use the remaining pie crust to make a top crust if you like.) I love this topping I use it on muffins, and other fruit pies as well.

1/2 C flour
1/4 C packed brown sugar
1/4 C butter

Mix dry ingredient, cut in butter with pastry blender until crumbly.
Top the pie with crumb topping and place in 425 degree oven for about 20 min., then reduce heat to 400 degrees. Cook pie until it is bubbly and apples are tender. This usually take about 1-1 1/2 hours.


So back to my question. What could be better than Apple Pie? Apple Pie and Ice Cream of course!!!

Fancy that, there really is something better than apple pie.
DeeLight

5 comments:

Mama Said said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I've really enjoyed perusing both of yours! You are very inspiring!

Trish said...

thanks for stopping by!!
that pie looks delicious:) I must get dressed and go to the grocery store!! have a great day and I look forward to chatting again

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

That pie looks awesome - you can't beat apple pie and cream for an incredible dessert! I bet it tasted as good as it looks.

grace said...

my answer to your question was gonna be apple pie a la mode. guess great minds really do think alike. :)

Anonymous said...

Good morning and Happy Pink Saturday, Jennifer.

I was just stopping by to see your pink post, but I sure would like some of that apple pie. It looks delish.