Thursday, September 3, 2009

Wall Collage with Picture Frames

Don't ask me why, but it has been my mission to decorate my house with items from goodwill, or garage sales. Now, I do have a few things I've picked up from other places, and of course there are the items I already had, but most of the newer things are thrifty things.
I was having pretty good luck finding prints, mirrors, wall hangings...but I had this one space that I just couldn't fill. I never happened on to anything that was the right color or style. So I decided to borrow an idea from one of my Country Living magazines, and use a collection of empty frames, mirrors...to create what I like to call a "wall collage". I stopped in at the goodwill (while my oldest waited in the car with the little ones) and 8 minutes later I came out with all of the frames, shadow box, and mirror you see in this picture. I cut a scrap of toile fabric to fit one of the frames. The shadow box was easy, I inserted decorative paper into the box and then placed tiny mementos into the, super tiny, spaces.
I removed the ghastly print that was in the black frame and replaced it with a collage made from junk that was literally sitting on my counter (old keys, scrapbooking scraps, ribbon, and a few old buttons). Oh, and I sanded the frame so it would loose a little of it's gloss and have a more vintage look.

Fancy That, a quick trip to the Goodwill and a new creative and inexpensive wall display, or should I say "wall collage";) DeeLight

4 comments:

heidi said...

i love it. well done!

Sandy said...

Love it, turned out great!

Sorry it's been so long that I've visited.

Julie said...

Love ot all...I am having a-give-away to celebrate my 1 month Blogoversary.... so come on over and check it out... We will picking a winner Late Monday night , and posting the results then...Have a wonderful Pink week and I hope to see back here next week...
xoxo
Julie

Natasha said...

This is great!! What a fantastic idea!